Moffat Rams Home and Dry

Wigtownshire were welcomed to Holm Park last Saturday for the BT west 3 division fixture, with the Rams hoping that home advantage would help them record their first win of the season. They had recorded a draw and snatched defeat in the face of victory a few times, so a win was sorely needed to boost the team's confidence.

The sun was shining and the continuing dry spell had brought out the home crowd. The first half went well for Moffat with the visitors giving away an early penalty, which Thomas Quigley duly slotted over. It was a first indication that Wigtownshire's discipline might be a weakness. As the penalties ensued, Thomas fancied gaining some points by crossing the whitewash, but wasn't able to convert Moffat's first try. However, it was looking good for the Rams as they took control of the game, holding both possession and territory.

It wasn't long before the pressure paid off and George Beamish powered over and Quigley converted to make it 15-0. The visiting team were starting to become impatient and as they headed up the gentle slope they began to threaten Moffat's line. An unfortunate high tackle by Moffat left the referee seeing yellow, but indiscipline and retaliation meant he saw double and both teams went down to 14 men in the run up to half time. After a few stern words from the official, play resumed, but it was Wigtownshire who were regaining momentum. They were rewarded with a try out wide, which was too wide for the conversion, leaving the score 15-5 at the interval.

As the game restarted the crowd were keeping their fingers crossed that Moffat weren't going to let the visitors back in the game. The home side needed to keep possession and to keep Wigtownshire in their own half. Nerves started to jangle slightly as there was an occasional offload too far and possession was given away, but taking the lead Moffat's new captain, Martin Salaman powered over the line for another try for the Rams. Although it wasn't converted, the game was looking home and dry.

A bit more indiscipline from Wigtownshire gave Moffat another penalty, which was brilliantly booted over by Quigley and the visitor were offered some helpful consultation from the sideline. At 23-5 the game was all but over and a lapse of concentration allowed Wigtownshire a consolation try in the corner to leave the final score at 23-10. Head Coach Cammy Little was pleased "It was good to a win in the bag and now we have to build on this positive result".

The next home game is on Saturday 15th October against Birkmyre RFC.


28 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All